Traditionally, tulle-wrapped bags of rice were given to wedding guests to toss at newly-married couples, until it was discovered that the rice posed a health hazard to birds. These days, there are lots of different ideas for wedding favors that you can put together yourself that are creative and nature-safe. With a little creativity, you can create fantastic favors to give guests on your special day! Here are some ideas to get you started:
Do it Yourself Wedding Favor Ideas
● To replace the dated tradition of throwing rice, give your guests small tulle-wrapped packets of birdseed instead. This gives your favors a traditional feel but in an environmentally-friendly way. Decorate the packets with a little satin or lace ribbon to match your wedding colors.
● Or, instead of feeding the birds, feed your guests. Wrap small candies such as chocolate kisses or colorful after-dinner mints in pretty packaging. Even beverages such as gourmet tea bags and, for winter weddings, packets of hot chocolate, can be good choices. Truffles and fortune cookies are also great ideas for edible favors.
● Another old standby for do-it-yourself wedding favors are miniature jars of bubbles. These little jars can be ordered from wedding-supply companies and personalized with ribbon, lace and flowers to reflect your wedding.
● Scented sachets can make good wedding favors. Simply wrap some fragrant potpourri in a pretty fabric and tie with a ribbon of your choice. These sachets can be tied on doorknobs as decorations or placed in closets and drawers to infuse the areas with fragrance.
● Miniature votive candles wrapped in pretty fabric or cute packaging can be great wedding favors, as can small scented soaps.
Some things to keep in mind before making handmade favors
When deciding to craft your wedding favors on your own, there are some factors you should take into consideration. The theme of your wedding, as well as the time of year it is held, can play a big part in what favors are appropriate. For example, handheld fans are great favors for a summer wedding, while candy canes are appropriate for a winter holiday one.
Wrap ‘em pretty!
No matter what kind of favors you decide to have, you will need a few basic things: Pretty packaging and adornment. Packaging can be tissue paper, colored wrap, or fabric. Use colorful ribbon that reflects the shades featured at your wedding. Try miniature silk flowers that match the ones from your bridal bouquet to adorn your wedding favors. You may also want to purchase things like potpourri, sea shells, and other adornments. Your local craft store has everything you need to make your own favors, but if you’re going to be crafting in large quantities you could try purchasing wholesale from one of the many online wholesalers that offer craft and wedding supplies.
With a little creative thought, you can craft the perfect wedding favors for your guests. Making your own favors can not only be fun, it can save you a good deal of money! Gather some family and friends to help you make your favors. Not only will you get them done faster, you will have quality time with the people you love!