A groomsman is one of the (usually) male attendants to the bridegroom in a wedding ceremony. Usually the groom selects his closest friends and/or relatives to serve as a groomsmen, and it is considered an honor to be selected.
The duties of a groomsman typically include some or all of the following:
- Helping the best man plan the Bachelor Party/ Stag Night for the groom
- Ushering guests to their seats before the ceremony
- Escorting the bridesmaids down the aisle during the ceremony and reception
- Giving speeches and toasts (however, this duty is usually performed by the best man)
- Dancing with bridesmaids and other single female guests at the reception
The groom may also designate other male friends and relatives to act as ushers, whose main task is ushering guests to their seats before the ceremony.